With all the accounts we create on the internet, we may forget our Gmail login details from time to time, and when this happens, we get locked out of our own account. The good news is, you don’t have to create a new account. In most cases, you can get your account back, thanks to the Gmail account recovery functionality Google provides for all its users. You may also be interested in setting up your account with IMAP.
How to recover a Gmail password?
When you created your Gmail account, you chose an email address and a password. Your Gmail password is case-sensitive, and you may forget it if you have not signed into your account recently. For Gmail account recovery, follow these steps.
1. Go to the Gmail account recovery page, and enter your email address.
2. Type the last password you have used for your Gmail account that you can remember.
3. If you can’t recall it, click “Try a different question”.
4. Google will verify your identity by either asking you to answer your secret question, or by sending you a reset code to the alternate email address or the phone number that you registered for your account. In the second scenario, Google will send a code to your email address or phone number. If you are unable to find the email with the verification code, you may want to go to your junk or trash. For further details, read our guide on how to recover deleted or misplaced emails in Gmail.
5. Enter a new password for your Gmail account, and confirm it. Your new password should be strong enough for optimal security.
How to recover a Google account from a forgotten email address?
In case you are not able to access your Gmail account because you can’t recall your email address, go to the Gmail account recovery page for forgotten usernames, and follow these steps:
1. Type your recovery email address or phone number, and click “Next”.
2. Enter your full name, and click “Next”.
How to recover a hacked Gmail account?
Another reason why you can’t sign into your Gmail account is that someone else may have used it. In this case, you would need to reset your password by following our step-by-step guide above. Once the recovery of your Gmail account has been completed, all you have to do is secure your account to avoid any further misfortune. Take the following simple steps.
1. From your Google account page, go to “Security”.
2. In “Recent security events”, click “Review security events”.
3. Click “No” for suspicious activities, and secure your account by following the instructions displayed on the screen. Click “Yes” if you have done the activity.
While using your Gmail account, someone else may have had access to sensitive information, such as your bank details: Make sure you contact the authorities in your area or your bank even after the recovery of your account.
How to recover a deleted Google account?
The same way the recovery of your Google account is done in the event that you have forgotten your password, Google also allows you to regain access to a recently deleted account. Follow these steps to get it back.
1. In the Gmail account recovery page, type your Gmail email address.
2. Enter the last password you have used for your account.
Once Gmail recovery has completed, you can access all the Google services again. For further help with your emailing experience, take a look at other tips and tools we, at Cleanfox, provide for better management of your mailbox so as to increase your productivity.