Today a lot of email providers are offering great features for free. Most of them include extras that make your emailing experience even more productive and exciting. However, it is not recommended to have accounts with several email providers. If what you want is to delete your Hotmail account, then you’ve come to the right place. Also check out our 10 Hotmail productivity tips.
Why delete your Hotmail account?
Before we go into the details of the procedure to delete a Hotmail account, let’s make sure you really want to proceed. First, you need to make sure that people won’t send emails to your Hotmail address, not knowing you’ve switched to a new account. What we recommend is you let every potential sender know your new email address before you delete your Hotmail account. Second, deleting your Hotmail account will lock you out of every Microsoft service you have subscribed for. You will no longer have access to your contacts, and the files you have saved in OneDrive will be deleted. And you will not be able to recover the account.
What are the steps to delete your Hotmail account?
Having read the above reminder, you can now delete your Hotmail account by following the instructions below.
1. Go to Outlook.com, and sign in with your Hotmail login details. Forgot your Hotmail password? Learn how to reset it.
2. Open your account settings.
3. Click Security > More Security Options.
4. Select “Close my account”.
5. Read the instructions displayed, and proceed by verifying your identity. Your account will be fully deleted after a period of 60 days.
Unsubscribe from unwanted newsletters
Unwanted newsletters overloading one’s mailbox sometimes make users delete their account. And if that’s your case, you should visit Cleanfox, and we’ll help you clean up your Hotmail mailbox. On your part, you should start unsubscribing from unwanted newsletters. This is how you can do that with these steps.
1. Go to Outlook.com, and log into your Hotmail account.
2. Click the View dropdown menu, and select “Newsletters”.
3. With all your newsletters selected, click the Sweep dropdown menu, and select “Unsubscribe”.
4. A window will pop up: Check the box, and click “Subscribe”.
This relies on Outlook’s automatic categorization of newsletters, which sometimes fails. Therefore, you would still need to categorize by yourself untreated newsletters from time to time. You may also set up your mail filter for more efficiency sorting out your emails.
The alternatives to Hotmail & Outlook
There are a lot of email service providers out there, which you can select from as you delete your Hotmail account, and each one of them has specific capabilities. Your choice shall depend on your needs and UI preference. Below is a list of the most popular email providers today.
1. Gmail: It allows you to access Google web-based apps, such as Google Drive. You are offered 15-GB online storage for your emails and Google Drive files. Mail management is done with folders and labels.
2. Yahoo Mail: Yahoo Mail is known for its efficient spam filtering capability along with its 1-TB storage space. However, it has a lot of ads.
3. AOL Mail: It has an internal spell-check and antivirus feature. It also offers you a 15-GB storage space, but like Yahoo Mail, it has a lot of ads and doesn’t allow you to attach files from your cloud storage.