Most of our files are stored on our local storage, and we access them from our Finder app. We are fine with that–until files stored on our Mac can’t be accessed from our iPhone. It also happens our drive breaks down, and there we are, struggling to recover our files.
So what if you can actually store your files online and you can now access them from any device as long as you are connected to the Internet? That can be done with your iCloud Drive. You may also be interested in how to configure your iCloud email address.
What is iCloud Drive?
iCloud Drive is an online storage Apple offers its users–just like Google Drive for Gmail users, and OneDrive for Outlook users. It allows you to store and manage files online and access them from any device. You can also automatically upload files stored on your computer, so you can read or manipulate them from another device. All you need is your Apple ID or iCloud account to get started. Check out how to delete your iCloud email address.
How to access iCloud Drive?
There are a number of ways for you to read files stored in your iCloud Drive, depending on the device you are using.
1. If you are using a Mac, open iCloud Drive from your Finder app.
2. Go to iCloud.com from a supported browser.
3. From iOS 11 or iPadOS, access iCloud Drive from your Files app.
4. From iOS 9 or iOS 10, open your iCloud Drive app.
What is iCloud Drive storage space?
The default iCloud Drive storage Apple offers you for free is 5GB. But you can purchase more space with Apple. Follow these steps to upgrade your iCloud storage.
1. From your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to your Settings app.
• Tap your name.
• Go to iCloud > Manage Storage or iCloud Storage > Buy More Storage or Change Storage Plan.
• Select the plan you want to use.
• Tap “Buy”, and proceed with the on-screen instructions.
2. From your Mac, go to your Apple menu and then to your System Preferences.
• Select Apple ID (skip this step if you are on macOS Mojave or earlier).
• Go to iCloud > Manage > Change Storage Plan or Buy More Storage.
• Select a plan.
• Click “Next”, and proceed with the on-screen instructions.
How to retrieve deleted files on iCloud Drive?
You can recover files deleted within the last 30 days. To restore files from iCloud.com, follow these instructions.
1. Go to iCloud.com from a supported browser, and sign in.
2. Open your iCloud Drive.
3. Select “Recently Deleted”.
4. Retrieve your file from the list.
If you wish to retrieve deleted files in iCloud Drive with your Mac, go to your Trash app from the Dock. Drag the file you wish to restore, and drop it into another folder.
How to download photos from iCloud?
Sometimes we want to keep copies of your iCloud photos to view offline. To download your photos, do the following.
1. Go to iCloud.com, and sign in.
2. Click “Photos”.
3. Select the photos you wish to download from iCloud by holding the Cmd key.
4. Click and hold the icon for download, and select the format you want for your photos.
5. Click “Download”.
From your iPhone, you may want to go to your Settings app and select your name. Tap iCloud > Photos > Download and Keep Originals. For articles about other issues, visit Cleanfox, and boost your productivity.